Speaking of Prius Battery Replacement, do you want to replace your Toyota Prius battery? You definitely need to read this article to the end. Toyota Prius is a popular choice for eco-friendly driving. The amazing thing with the battery is that It not only gets incredible gas mileage but also provides an electric motor as a backup to the gasoline engine.
However, some of the most common questions people ask are
- What is Prius battery lifespan?
- Prius hybrid battery replacement near me?
- What’s Prius battery specs?
- Toyota Prius hybrid battery for sale?
- 2010 Prius Hybrid battery replacement?
Lots of people are eager to know how long the Prius hybrid battery lasts. This write-up will be unveiling everything you need to know about the battery- relating to some of the questions above.
Table of Contents
Prius Battery Replacement
The fuel-efficient Toyota Prius has been on the market for more than 20years in the United States. The hybrid-electric four-door sedan has been popular among drivers for years and is also a favorite among new car buyers.
However, while most owners of the original 2000 Toyota Prius vehicles are enjoying the same gas mileage as they did when they were brand new: The traction battery packs inside the earlier models are reaching the end of their estimated 10 year, a 300,000-mile lifespan.
Therefore, if your Toyota Prius car’s battery pack dies before the 150,000 or 100,000-mile warranty expires, the auto manufacturer will replace it for free. But if your car’s warranty ends, you’ll join the 500 or so Prius owners every month experiencing the same dilemma.
How Do I Know When My Prius Battery Needs Replacement?
When your battery decreased performance and you see a dashboard warning light signal, then it is time to visit your Toyota dealership. Now you will have to decide whether to buy a new car or to replace the battery.
Prius Battery LifeSpan
Prius batteries have a lifespan of 10-years or (150,000 miles). The battery is designed to last for a long time. Although, you can service the battery at any time during the life of the car.
So after 10years of using the battery don’t expect the battery to last longer. And as soon as it becomes faulty, showing signals for replacement, Kindly proceed to the dealer shop.
Should in case your Battery dies within your warranty period (10years) you will have to visit the dealer shop for a replacement.
Prius Battery Specs/Benefits
The benefits of the Toyota Prius are:
- Amazing intuitive controls
- It has USB ports
- It comes with a spacious and comfortable interior
- Has a standard safety features
- Responsive handling and steering
- Prius battery also has a Bluetooth
- Great and outstanding visibility
- Comes with an innovative technology
- A good number of cargo rooms
- It features Voice-commands and Stereo system, etc.
The Toyota Prius battery comes with 28 Panasonic nickel-metal hydride modules. Each module has six 1.2-volt cells. When connected in a series, they will produce a total of 201.6 volts.
These are some of the benefits of using the Toyota Prius battery.
What is Hybrid Battery All About?
A hybrid car battery is just like any other battery car battery. You can recharge it and it also has enough juice to keep your car chugging along for mile after mile.
Furthermore, hybrid car makes use of a combination of an internal combustion engine and a battery-electric drive system to carry out great fuel economy and reduce emissions.
The Toyota Prius car’s electric motor powers your vehicle, drawing power from the battery. When driving 15 miles per hour or lesser, the car will only use the electric motor for power. When you’re driving at a normal pace, only the gasoline engine is used.
Furthermore, when there’s heavy acceleration, the hybrid car’s electric motor and the gasoline engine will work together to increase power to the wheels.
Also, when your car comes to a complete stop, the gas engine and the electric motor will turn off.
Toyota Prius Battery Pack Problems
Below are some symptoms of a dying Toyota hybrid battery:
- Notice a decreased miles per gallon (MPG). When you start noticing a steady decrease in your miles per gallon for no reason, kindly contact an experienced Toyota hybrid mechanic right away to schedule a health check.
- If your internal combustion engine is running more than it usually does. That is to say, if it runs at odd times or for longer than it should, you could have a failing battery.
- If you look at the screen and notice big fluctuations in your state of charge (SOC). This shows that either your battery or the car’s charging system is having problems.
- You experience an unexplained drop in battery bars, there may be an underlying issue with the battery and it needs to be looked at right away.
- Notice a weird engine noise from your Toyota Prius. It simply means that the engine is running more than it typically does. This might indicate that your car is suffering from a failing battery.
So, if you notice any of the above signs or symptoms, visit the hybrid car mechanic near you.
Toyota Prius Battery Replacement Costs
Prius battery replacement costs differ a little between the dealership you choose to buy it from. Though on a general note, a brand new Toyota hybrid battery replacement cost will be between $2,200 and $4, the labor costs not included.
While the used battery will cost you upwards of $1,500, a refurbished Toyota Prius battery will cost $1,500 or more.
You can visit the nearby Toyota Prius battery store near you for further inquiries on the battery cost. Alternatively, visit their official website or
Is My Battery Still Covered Under Warranty?
It’s good to first of all first check if your battery is still under warranty, before proceeding or considering replacing it.
If your battery is still under warranty, you will be given a new one to replace the old one.
How Do I Make a Toyota Prius Battery Last Longer?
To extend your battery lifespan, here are what to do;
Make sure you have the HEV battery pack cooling system checked, cleaned, and certified yearly.
Also, every 15,000 miles, or 12 to 15 months, locate the cabin air filter (a part that is in every motor vehicle) and service it or replaced it. However, if the cabin air filter is too dirty or clogged, it will affect the airflow to the battery pack, which will make it run less efficiently.