Roadside insurance, also called roadside assistance, is an optional coverage many drivers add to their auto insurance policies.
It provides financial assistance for roadside emergencies, such as flat tires, dead batteries, running out of gas, and lockouts. In some cases, roadside insurance will also cover the cost of a tow or rental car.
While roadside insurance is not required by law, it can be a valuable investment for drivers who frequently travel or drive older vehicles that may be more prone to breakdowns.
Roadside assistance coverage is designed to assist and pay for expenses incurred from a broken down or disabled vehicle. When you experience vehicle trouble, you can contact your roadside assistance provider via an app or the assistance hotline.
The dispatch service will then send someone to assist you with your car trouble needs.
Types of Roadside Insurance Coverages
There are several types of roadside insurance. The most common are as follows;
- Towing and labor coverage.
- Rental car reimbursement.
- Battery jump-start or boosting.
- Flat tire.
These are some of the types of roadside insurance coverage.
Pros of Roadside Insurance
Roadside insurance is an optional coverage that can offer many benefits to drivers. Some of the main benefits of roadside insurance include:
- Towing assistance.
- Flat tire assistance.
- Fuel delivery assistance.
- Lockout assistance.
- Provides peace of mind.
These are some of the pros of roadside insurance.
Cons Of Roadside Insurance
Roadside insurance is a great option for many drivers, but it does have some potential downsides to consider, such as:
- Waiting time.
- Coverage limits.
- Not all services are covered.
- Not all drivers are eligible.
These are the cons of roadside insurance.
What Does Roadside Insurance Not Cover?
Roadside insurance typically does not cover the following:
- Vehicle repairs.
- Vehicle maintenance.
- Vehicle theft or vandalism.
Listed above are some of the things not covered by roadside insurance.
Top 10 Companies That Offer Roadside Insurance
The following are the top 10 companies that offer roadside insurance:
- State Farm.
- Liberty Mutual.
These are just some of the many companies that offer roadside insurance. Shop around and compare policies to find the best option for your needs.
Factors That Affect the Cost of Roadside Insurance
Several factors can affect the cost of roadside insurance, including the following:
- The type of vehicle you drive.
- Your location.
- Your driving history.
- The coverage you choose
These are a few factors that can affect the cost of roadside insurance rates.
How to Obtain Roadside Insurance
Here is a guideline on how to obtain roadside insurance online:
- Start by understanding what roadside insurance covers.
- Determine the amount of roadside insurance you need with the policy, such as coverage for your belongings and liability insurance.
- Explore different roadside insurance companies to know the coverage types they offer. Some top-rated companies that offer roadside insurance include Allstate, Nationwide, State Farm, Progressive, etc.
- Once you have a list of insurance companies that you like, get and compare the insurance quotes. The easiest way to shop for roadside insurance is to compare quotes from multiple insurance providers. You can visit their official websites.
- After comparing quotes, choose an insurance provider and apply. You can do this by choosing the insurance policy that suits your needs.
Then, pay your premium to activate your policy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are some frequently asked questions.
Is Roadside Insurance Required?
No, roadside insurance is not required. However, having roadside assistance coverage can be a good idea if you ever need help while driving.
How Much Does Roadside Insurance Cost?
The cost of roadside insurance can vary depending on your provider and the specific coverage you choose. Generally, you can expect to pay between $10 and $30 monthly for roadside assistance coverage.
What’s The Difference Between Roadside Assistance and Towing Insurance?
Roadside assistance is a service that helps you if your car breaks down or you have another roadside emergency.
Generally, roadside insurance is a great way to protect yourself and your vehicle in an emergency. It’s a relatively low-cost coverage that can provide peace of mind and assistance in a time of need.
While not required by law, it’s a good idea to consider adding roadside insurance to your policy. There are many providers, and applying for coverage is simple and easy.
With roadside insurance, you can rest assured that you’ll be taken care of if something happens while you’re on the road.