EMS Scholarship is granted to students who are current Virginia EMS providers and want to become EMS providers in the Commonwealth. It is designed to fund eligible applicants seeking to get an initial or advanced EMS credential within the Commonwealth of Virginia. Are you an EMS service provider in VA? Do you want to get to greater heights in your career? If yes, you should stick to this article to the end.
Table of Contents
Organized by the Virginia Office of Emergency Medical Services, the EMS awards scholarships to aspiring and current EMS service providers. It funds those who have been accepted into a suitable Virginia-approved initial certification program in EMR, EMT, Advanced EMT, and Paramedic. Although it is not designed to provide 100% funding for a training program, it funds tuition fees and other educational expenses. it also funds:
- EMS textbooks.
- EMS program uniforms/clinical clothing.
- EMS testing fees include CTS fees & NREMT certification exam fees.
- Clinical tracking program software licenses including but not limited to FISDAP and Platinum Planner
- NREMT cognitive exam preparation software including but not limited to FISDAP and EMSTesting.com.
- EMS program-related background checks.
- EMS program-related physicals and/or inoculations.
However, the awardee can suddenly become responsible for all of his or her fees if he or she does not:
- Complete the training program.
- Obtain Virginia certification at the level of training.
- Partner with a licensed Virginia EMS agency for a minimum of 1 year.
- Comply with all applicable Code of Virginia and EMS Regulations as well as the Training Program Administration Manual
- Notify the Office of EMS of any change in legal name, address change or criminal/civil charges within 5 days of the event.
The Virginia EMS Scholarship is awarded to eligible students only. Learn more about eligibility in the next section.
EMS Scholarship Eligibility Requirements
Eligibility for the EMS scholarship is of two categories: student eligibility and course eligibility.
Student eligibility for the EMS scholarship is based on certain requirements. To be eligible for the EMS scholarship, you must:
- Be a resident of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Not have any current Office of EMS imposed enforcement action from the Division of Regulation and Compliance.
- Be enrolled in an eligible Virginia-approved initial certification program.
- Be up to the “Age of Majority” in the Commonwealth. Students of ages 16-17 are required to authorize their EMS agency to manage their scholarship award on their behalf.
- Have a valid social security number issued by the U.S. Social Security Administration.
- Have paid tuition for the program in which you were enrolled.
If you are an eligible student, move on to the next section to check your course eligibility.
Before you can apply for the EMS scholarship, your course must:
- Be a Virginia-approved initial certification course.
- Be at or above the 16th percentile (the 16th percentile is a benchmark used to compare programs and instructors among their peers).
- Not have any current OEMS imposed enforcement actions from the Division of Regulation and Compliance.
- Be listed as an “open” course on the OEMS database allowing for enrollments from the public without discrimination.
Note that the course or program shall charge the same rate for all enrollees. Also, eligibility for the Virginia EMS Scholarship Program will be determined on the start date for the course in which the student is enrolling. However, if you meet the above-mentioned requirements, you can now move on to the application process.
EMS Scholarship Application
You can apply for the Virginia EMS Scholarship through the Virginia EMS Portal. The scholarship application will only last for 30 days after the reopening of the application. Some courses however have a 10-day application process.
Before applying, be sure to read the scholarship contract at https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/content/uploads/sites/23/2018/10/Sample-Individual-Contract-EMSSP.pdf. The next section is a guide on how to apply for the Virginia EMS scholarship.
How to Apply for The EMS Scholarship
Follow the steps below to apply for the Virginia EMS Scholarship:
- Open a web browser on your device.
- Visit the URL https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/content/uploads/sites/23/2018/10/How-to-Apply-for-the-Virginia-EMS-Scholarship-Quick-Guide.pdf.
- On the website, you will find the “EMS Portal: Scholarship Application”. Follow the guide step by step to apply for the Virginia EMS Scholarship.
With the guide below, you can complete your application process.
The National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians (NAEMT) scholarship is a scholarship for individuals interested in pursuing a career in EMS. It funds studies in Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) and Emergency Medical Technician (EMT).
Also, it supports those who want to pursue a career in EMS or further their EMS studies. It funds up to $1,000, based on the cost of the EMS program and one-year NAEMT student membership. Visit the website at https://www.naemt.org/about-naemt/naemt-foundation/foundation-scholarships to learn more.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are some frequently asked question
Can I apply for a scholarship for a course/program that does not charge tuition?
To apply for and be considered for a scholarship You must have been charged tuition for your training program. The Office of EMS cannot approve payment of a scholarship to an applicant who has gotten something for free.
Can I apply for a scholarship if I have received a citation?
You cannot apply for a scholarship if you have received a citation. EMS providers with a citation are not eligible to apply for a scholarship.
I am under 18, can I apply for the Virginia EMS Scholarship Program?
To apply, students under 18 must contact Chad Blosser (email@example.com) via e-mail requesting to be made eligible for the scholarship program. Also, they must be allied with a Virginia-licensed EMS agency and agree to license the EMS agency to obtain and manage the scholarship for them.