Hong Kong PhD fellowship scheme is a fully funded scholarship available for international students. As the name implies, it is only open to students who intend to pursue their doctoral studies in Hong Kong, China.
The Hong Kong PhD fellowship scheme was established in 2009 by the Hong Kong Research Grants Council (RGC) to draw excellent students from all around the world to pursue their doctoral studies at Hong Kong universities.
About the Hong Kong Ph.D. Fellowship Scheme
About 300 fellowships are awarded by the RGC every academic year. New applicants for full-time PhD programs in institutions funded by the government in Hong Kong are eligible to apply irrespective of their nationality or ethnic background.
The fellowship provides a yearly allowance of HK$325,000 which is approximately US$41,690, and a conference and research-related travel allowance of HK$13,600 which is approximately US$1,740, each year for the recipients for a period of three years.
Summary of the Scholarship
The details of this scholarship are as follows;
- The level of study is doctoral studies.
- The study location is Hong Kong.
- Also, he focus areas of opportunity are the PhD programs offered by the participating institutions.
- The duration of the program is from three to four years.
- The deadline is 1st December,2023.
Participating Institutions of the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme
The following are the UGC-funded institutions participating in the Hong Kong PhD fellowship scheme;
- The University of Hong Kong; https://www.hku.hk/
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University; https://www.polyu.edu.hk/rio/
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong; https://www.gs.cuhk.edu.hk/admissions/scholarships-fees/hkpfs
- Hong Kong Baptist University; https://gs.hkbu.edu.hk/
- City University of Hong Kong; https://www.cityu.edu.hk/pg/hong-kong-phd-fellowship-scheme
- Lingnan University; https://www.ln.edu.hk/rpg/admission/requirement/admission-criteria-and-requirements
- The Education University of Hong Kong; https://www.eduhk.hk/gradsch/
- Hong Kong University of Science and Technology; https://fytgs.hkust.edu.hk/scholarships/hong-kong-phd-fellowship-scheme
Scholarship Coverage of the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme
The Hong Kong PhD fellowship scheme for international students provides the following benefits for their awardee:
- An annual allowance of HK$325,000 which is approximately US$41,690.
- A conference and research-related travel allowance of HK$13,600 which is approximately US$1,740 to the awardee for each academic year.
- The RGC does not charge any application fee for the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme.
However, note that universities may charge application fees.
Eligibility Criteria for the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme for International Students
Candidates must fulfill the following criteria to be eligible for the Hong Kong PhD fellowship scheme for international students:
- candidates seeking admission as full-time PhD students in UGC-funded institutions in Hong Kong.
- Applicants from all countries are eligible.
- The required language is English.
- High academic performance.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent research and leadership abilities.
How to Apply for the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme
To apply for the Hong Kong PhD fellowship scheme, follow the guidelines below;
- Connect your device to the internet.
- Open your web browser.
- Enter the URL; https://cerg1.ugc.edu.hk/hkpfs/InitApplication.jsp
- Fill out your initial application form on the site displayed.
- Submit your initial application to RGC.
- Submit your full application for your choice of PhD program to the proposed university, quoting their HKPFS reference number before the deadline.
Note that applications are open at 12:00 noon, Hong Kong time. For more information about the application process, visit; https://cerg1.ugc.edu.hk/hkpfs/apply.html
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are some frequently asked questions.
What is the Official Website of the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme?
Visit the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme’s website by clicking https://cerg1.ugc.edu.hk/hkpfs/index.html
Who is Eligible for Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme?
Applicants who are seeking full-time admission into a UGC-funded institution in Hong Kong to pursue their doctoral studies regardless of their country of origin or ethnic background. Applicants should also exhibit exceptional qualities of academic performance, leadership abilities, interpersonal skills, etc.
Is There an application fee for the Application Process for the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme?
No, the RGC does not charge any application fee for the process.
Is the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme Strictly for Doctoral Studies?
As the name implies, the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme is only available for Ph.D. programs.
How Many Universities in Total Participate in the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme for International Students?
There are a total of eight participating universities.
YOU MAY LIKE: Cost of Tuition at UCLA – How to Pay
The Hong Kong Ph.D. fellowship assists awardees in pursuing their Ph.D. studies in Hong Kong, at UGC-funded institutions. For awardees who need more than three years to complete their program, additional support may be provided by the selected university.